Ever wonder what it feels like to live like the superrich? Decked-out megayachts, private jets and lavish jewels are all perks of being a billionaire. But behind the glitz and glamour is a road to success paved with hard work, determination and unyielding passion.
1. Figure out what you’re so passionate about that you’d be happy doing it for 10 years, even if you never made any money from it. That’s what you should be doing.
2. Always be true to yourself.
3. Figure out what your values are and live by them, in business and in life.
4. Rather than focus on work-life separation, focus on work-life integration.
5. Don’t network. Focus on building real relationships and friendships where the relationship itself is its own reward, instead of trying to get something out of the relationship to benefit your business or yourself.
6. Remember to maximize for happiness, not money or status.
7. Think about what your definition of success really is. Is it externally driven or internally driven?
8. Get ready for rejection.
9. Success unshared is failure. Give back — share your wealth.
10. Successful people do all the things unsuccessful people don’t want to do.
11. Values and ethics always come first.
12. Don’t lie, cheat or steal for one penny or one dollar — ever.
13. Business with bad people is always bad business.
14. You have to learn that you can walk away from someone that you care about for the greater good.
15. When my management teams come into the room, I hug them, I give them truth and “harsh speak” when they’re in, and then I hug them on the way out.
16. The truth is cold and hard, but it’s the first point on the path to hope and salvation.
17. Don’t do what you do for the money. Whatever path you choose, do it because it makes your heart beat fast.
18. If you do good, good will come back to you.
19. You have to be fundamentally engaged and honest toward yourself.
20. Live your life full throttle. Take risks!
Number of billionaires: 22
Total Population: 33,739,900
Notable Billionaires Include: David Thompson (Chairman of Thompson Reuters), Jeffrey Skoll (ex-eBay President) and Guy Laliberté (CEO of Cirque du Soleil).9. Japan
Number of billionaires: 23
Total Population: 127,560,000
Notable Billionaires Include: Masayoshi Son (CEO of venture capital Softbank Capital), Hiroshi Yamauchi (President and Chairman of Nintendo) and Tadashi Yanai (Founder and President of retail holding company Fast Retailing).8. Switzerland
Number of billionaires: 27
Total Population: 7,731,167
Notable Billionaires Include: Ernesto Bertarelli (biotech entrepreneur known for Merck-Serono) and Esther Grether (art collector and Swatch shareholder).
7. Hong Kong
Number of billionaires: 29
Total Population: 7,003,700
Notable Billionaires Include: Li Ka-shing (businessman and Chairman of Hutchison Whampoa Limited) and Thomas and Raymond Kwok (inherited Real Estate developer Sun Hung Kai Properties.)
Number of billionaires: 42
Total Population: 61,838,154
Notable Billionaires Include: Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor (owner of Real Estate property company Grosvenor Group), Bernard Ecclestone (sports entrpreneur, CEO of Formula 1 racing Management) and Richard Branson (Chairman of Virgin Group).
Number of billionaires: 43
Total Population: 81,879,976
Notable Billionaires Include: Karl Albrecht (Founder of discount supermarket chain Aldi) and Susanne Klatten (shareholder in BMW and pharmaceutical manufacturer Altana).4. India
Number of billionaires: 47
Total Population: 1,155,347,678
Notable Billionaires Include: Lakshmi Mittal (chairman and CEO of steelmaker ArcelorMittal) and Mukesh Ambani (Chairman and managing director of conglomerate Reliance Industries).3. Russia
Number of billionaires: 58
Total Population: 141,850,000
Notable Billionaires Include: Vladimir Lisin (Chairman of Novolipetsk Steel), Vagit Alekperov (president of oil company Lukoil) and Roman Abramovich (Oil businessman and owner of England’s Chelsea Football Club)
Number of billionaires: 72
Total Population: 1,331,460,000
Notable Billionaires Include: Robin Li (CEO and Founder of search engine Baidu), Liang Wengen (Chairman and main shareholder of manufacturer Sany Group) and Zong Qinghou (founder of beverage producer Wahaha).
1. United States of America
Number of billionaires: 396
Total Population: 307,006,550
Notable Billionaires Include: Bill Gates (Chairman of Microsoft), Warren Buffett (Chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway) and Larry Ellison (Co-founder and CEO of enterprise software company Oracle Corporation).